Work for LaPrairie
HSE Officer – Fort McMurray, AB
Position: HSE Officer
Company: LaPrairie Crane
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
The HSE Officer, Fort McMurray, AB. is a full-time position supporting the HSE function for our operations and working directly with our client. This role provides HSE support to Line Management teams to achieve a safe working environment and meet statutory and contractual requirements. Please note at this time, candidates must reside in Fort McMurray as camp and fly-in fly-out arrangements are not applicable to this role.
Responsibilities of the Safety Advisor Include:
- Provide professional expertise and guidance in all areas of HSE including direction in incident management and investigation.
- Provide support, advice and direction for Line managers and supervisors
- Comply with HSE Policy and promote a safe working environment
- Promote an organizational culture where incidents, hazards and opportunities for improvement are reported, discussed and addressed quickly and efficiently.
- Accountable for the interpretation of the Provincial and Federal OHS legislation as it applies
- Assist supervisors in the delivery of Toolbox Safety talks.
- Mentor employees on HSE issues on sites
- Liaison with contractors, third parties, HSE and other internal clients with the provision of presentations to increase awareness of HSE matters.
- Support incident owners to ensure accident and incident investigations are conducted and events reported in a timely manner
- Support safety meetings by providing relevant information for use during the meeting and actively participating throughout.
- Carry out and record regular safety checks, remote site visits and safety inspections with documentation completed in a timely manner
- Primary support in case of HSE issues. Coordinates investigation and performs Root Cause Analysis
- Maintain a pro-active approach to the wellbeing of all employees, subcontractors and associated client personnel affected by our work.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant safety experience
- Experience in the Crane and/or Heavy Haul industries
- Familiarity with oil sands site operations
- Experience with the WCB process and claims management
- Completion of Occupational Health and Safety Certificate or Diploma or current standing as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)
- Hold a Certified Health and Safety Auditor designation
- Hold an OSSA BSO Certificate of completion
- Hold a valid drivers’ licence
- Hoisting ticket and Class 1 Driver’s licence would be considered an asset
- Able to work effectively with people of all levels including management, employees, and contractors.
- Highly organized with attention to detail. Able to manage multiple priorities and adapt to fast changing situations.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong leadership, coaching, and mentoring skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information in an efficient and professional matter.
- Good self –starter, ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Ability to prioritize projects and meet critical deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft basic suite of programs (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
Human Resources Department
Fax: (403) 767-9932
We encourage all who are qualified and interested to apply in confidence, however, only those in consideration will be contacted.